jueves, 30 de octubre de 2014

Present Simple and Continuous Tense

Present Tense

1) Factual information; scientific statement; universal/gral truth. Things that will never change because they are always the same.
“Waterbboils at 100°C”

2) Characteristic behaviour of a grop of people; custom (not habit)
“British people drink a lot of tea.”

3) Fixed timetable; part of schedule; future event; decided by authorieres and can´t be changed at will.
“The train leaves at 9:00am.”

4) Schedule; part of plan; itinerary.
“We visit the museum on Thursday.”

5) Historic present; imediacy to bring the reader closer
“Columbus arrives at America in 1492.”

6) Immediacy to stories; telling jokes.
“....and then he says…”

7) Geographical references/descritions of an area
“The River Thames divides the land in two.”

8) Sport commentaries in TV/radio when the action in taking place
“He passes the ball to Messi who scores a goal!”

9) Declarative sentence. Inversion(subject-verb-->Adv./PP fronted to indicate movement)
“Up the river sails the boat.”

10) Formula; fixed expression.
“I declare you man and wife.”

11) Journalese; headlines to make more vivid and grab the attention of the reader; refference to PAST (Narrative Present)
“Ship sinks and leaves 300 deaths.”

12) Instructions; procedures. Imperative; impersonal “you”.
“First you clean the surface and then you put the ingredients on it.”

13) Express a belief.
“I bet -i know the answer.”

PRESENT SIMPLE
PRESENT CONT./PROGRESSIVE
Expressing likes and dislikes.
“I don´t like gangster films.”
Feeling in process of change; transformations
“I´m liking it a bit more.”
Somebody doing different things.
“Are you liking your stay?”
Permanent condition; NOT indicate action (habit)
“Every time I go to Brazil, I stay in that hotel”
Temporary arrangement
“I´m staying at that hotel.”
## “How was your stay?”(N) ##
Fixed timetable; schedule decided upon by authority.
“The train leaves/arrives at six.”
Temporary arrangement; change to schedule.
“The  train is arriving at six.”
Habit.
“The do sleeps on the couch.”
Change in habit; action in progress at the time of speaking.
“The dog is sleeping outside because we are painting the living room.”
## Completed action ##
“I´ve learnt how to play chess.”
Action taking place/in progress for a limited amount of time
“I´m learning how to play chess.”
Temporary action
“I´m walking to work these days till the mechanics repaired the car.”
Characteristic beahaviour (habit); permanent
“Jack is noisy.”
Action/attitude/behaviour at the time; not characteristic of the person.
“Jack is being noisy.”
Posession
“I have a Porsche.”
“have” replaces certain verbs; informal.
“We are having (taking) an interesting conversation.”
Mental state verbs; involuntary perception; NO action
“I think I like you.”
“The fish tastes good.”
Considering; mental and voluntary perception; activity.
“I´m thinking about getting a job.”
“I´m tasting the coffee in the mousse.”
Progressive + ”always” Annoyance at sb´s behaviour/attitude
“You are always slamming the doors!”
=wish+”would”
“I wish you would stop slamming the doors.”
=”keep” + ing
“you keep complaing.”
= will + inf
“And you will slam the doors.” (repettition)

Incohative verbs(go, turn,get, become); process, change
“I´m going mad” “Leaves are turning yellow”
Mental perception
“I know the answer.”
Getting to know.
“I´m getting to know him better in this trip.”




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario